Monday, February 13, 2006

On his birthday

Almost a century ago on this day, Faiz Ahmed Faiz (@LOC, @Wiki) was born. I often regret for getting introduced to him very late in my life (another one such is Dharmavir Bharti). His piece of work which I came across first made me one of his everlasting fans. It was a poem called Nauha, which he wrote on the death of his brother. Such a wonderful and rare, yet so natural imagination. I immediately typed it in Devanagari and took a print out.


Sometimes I wonder, had he more words in his treasure or more feelings? In every poem of him, I find new words and untouched feelings. Ye daag daag ujala he wrote during partition applies equally to both sides of the border. His words reached a wider class of audience through the voice of Iqbal Bano, Tina Sani, Nayyara Noor and others. While listening Bahaar aayi, Bol ke lab, Hum dekhenge, Raat yoon dil mein, you realise the existence of Faiz somewhere around.

My tributes to him on the day when he would have completed 95 years of life, had he been alive.

3 Comments:

At Sun Feb 19, 05:28:00 PM 2006, Blogger samudrika said...

Slightly off-topic but knowing your interest in Maths, thought you might find this interesting.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 05:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger Suvadeep said...

Oh Amit .. first time I noticed the header picture in your blog .. khule panne .. that's too good man!

 
At Mon Feb 20, 11:33:00 AM 2006, Blogger Amit said...

@Samudrika: Thanks for the link. That post really charged me.

@Suvadeep: Well, since you have noticed it, let me describe that picture. The open book is "Deewan-e-Ghalib" - one of the two books written in Devanagari I could bring with me. In background those random pages actually contain some rough Maths work. Part of a card with flowers on it is also visible. I am sure you can not recognise this card, though you only presented it to me when I was departing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home