Friday, January 20, 2006

Identity Crisis

"Are you a student"?

Not really. Actually, I am a post-doc here in the University.

"Meaning what"?

I am doing what one is supposed to do after PhD.

"Oh, so you teach there... but how can you teach, you do not know French"!

Well, I do not teach either.

"Then what do you do? What are you paid for"?

I do research.

"But just now you told that you have come here after doing your research".

That's right, you know, but I mean.......

And the common man stares suspiciously with thousands of unanswered questions in his eyes.

Outside the institute, I am badly suffering from an identity crisis. God, why didn't You make me a Software Engineer?

After an unsuccessful attempt to pick-up French from streets by overhearing this common man, I decided to enroll for a proper French course. It was the fourth time in my life, when I was about to take French lessons! I went to the School of Languages run by the University. They were happy to welcome me and asked if I have student's card. I failed to produce it. Then they asked for an staff card, and again I was blank. I showed them a poor card which I have, and they did not recognise it! I was told that I have to pay a huge sum for attending the classes, because I do not belong to the University.

I was angry, though very polite, and told them that I'll think again about joining the course. In the mean time, I came to know that there is another private institute near by, where I can try.

I decided to register in this institute. Getting a clue from my e-mail ID, that charming lady on the registration desk asked me if I am from the University. I said, "yes", though I was little scared this time. I also showed her the same poor card. "That's great! We offer you 10% discount because you belong to the University"!

7 Comments:

At Fri Jan 20, 11:05:00 PM 2006, Blogger Basudeb Dasgupta said...

Is learning the language the sole motive of joining the classes?

 
At Sat Jan 21, 12:49:00 PM 2006, Blogger Amit said...

Learning language is not the sole motive. In fact, I have some soul motives too! Like "learning the culture and interacting with those who are living this culture.

"Iske aage hum aur kya kahein, Basu samjha karo!"

 
At Sat Jan 21, 03:40:00 PM 2006, Blogger samudrika said...

Please to define what you mean by "interacting"

 
At Sat Jan 21, 04:44:00 PM 2006, Blogger Amit said...

@Samudrika: A poor guy can only refer to dictionary.com for such queries. Here is the meaning of interacting:

To act on each other: “More than a dozen variable factors could interact, with their permutations running into the thousands” (Tom Clancy).

 
At Sun Jan 22, 02:34:00 PM 2006, Blogger kate said...

aww!
and i thought telling people you were a post-doctoral fellow would earn you serious respect!

 
At Tue Jan 24, 02:48:00 PM 2006, Blogger Amit said...

@Kate: They respect provided they know what it means to be a post-doc. Very few fall in this category.

 
At Wed Apr 21, 08:16:00 AM 2021, Blogger Database System said...

Newsingly is Largest News Network
Newsingly
Architectural consultants in Dubai
Architecture firms in Dubai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home