Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Looking back in time

I remember myself feeling amazed when I came to know in my school that an object, when launched in the space with a velocity more than the escape velocity, leaves the earth! I was also told that this velocity is same for ALL objects, and that was another beautiful part. Months later, when our teacher asked us to calculate it and I could calculate the quantity 11.2 km/sec, matching with what I had read earlier, it was truly a remarkable feeling with plenty of joy. After all, The Nature had unfolded one of her secrets to me! I did not care if that was already a "well known" fact.

I had a similar feeling when I came to know that it is possible to add infinitely many numbers and still get a finite number! As a school-kid, I used to feel on the top of the world after knowing and realising such simple, yet amazing truths.

Time passed by, and I decided to pursue research. I just used to imagine the amount of joy, which I would have when God/The Nature would select me as the first person on this earth till date, to reveal one of her secrets!

Alas! Now it's a kind of routine work. I come across so many beautiful statements and facts so frequently, but where is that innocent joy which I had when I calculated escape velocity? Does coming across so many beautiful things in life so frequently, transfers your "beauty sensors" from your heart to your brain?

4 Comments:

At Fri Jan 13, 10:06:00 PM 2006, Blogger Id it is said...

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty. That is all ye know, and all ye need to know.' John Keats

 
At Sat Jan 14, 04:17:00 AM 2006, Blogger Nikhil Joshi said...

is it a coincidence? The Photography magazine this month has the cover story by the same title as your blog "Looking back in Time"

 
At Sat Jan 14, 04:22:00 AM 2006, Blogger Nikhil Joshi said...

I think, knowledge suppresses imagination. What do you say?

Even in research, I think the best questions are asked by layman, the expert tends to catagorize his own querries as foolish many a times!

 
At Sat Jan 14, 05:05:00 PM 2006, Blogger Amit said...

@Nikhil: This is just a coincidence! I have not seen Photography magazine for 3-4 months. [No charge of piracy will be entertained :)].

I agree, knowledge suppresses imagination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home